pinterest

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Why Taking a Break is Necessary

It is a fact that acclaimed American writer Mark Twain took a long time to write books. Over 400 pages into Tom Sawyer he felt the manuscript was feeling contrived. He put it away for two whole years before touching it again to allow his subconscious to refill.

This is not to say that I am in the same league with Twain or that my work is on par with Tom Sawyer. But I do know wisdom when I hear it. Sometimes you have to look up instead of look within. You need to take a break from your work so that you can come back to it with a fresh eye and a clear mind. It is part of the process

As much as I believe in my novel in progress, The Bloodsong Swords, I know that by pushing it forward now, I'll be doing the story and myself a disservice. In the mean time I've been doing a lot of painting and focusing on my Etsy store. 

During this break from writing, I find my mind wandering to other stories and characters that I have in progress. I will likely end up working on those since that where the fire is burning hottest. I know it is better to go with the flow than go against the grain where the muse is concerned.

For now, I'm going to keep looking up.

www.clkaywriter.com | C. L. Kay | "Sometimes you have to look up instead of look within." --CLK

No comments:

Post a Comment